The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Leonidas Easy Rider?????
In Response To: Re: Leonidas Easy Rider????? ()

: What can i read there? There's one picture ... and many errors ...

Many errors in the one picture? Or which errors are we talking about? The comment was directed at the OP I believe, as a way of checking whether a Heuer series exists before asking the question here, so what could be read was that, yes, Heuer-Leonidas did indeed produce a series of watches called Easy Rider.

: Some call the Easy Rider as a poor mens Heuer

Yes, they do. And not without reason in this instance. Check this price list from 1973:

The Easy Riders are the 423.809s, the 429.801s Easy Rider Jacky Ickxes. Obviously the cheapest watches in the list. "Poor man's Heuer" might not be the best phrase and in fact we usually use it to describe watches that Heuer made for other watch brands that were then sold at a discount to the Heuer price. The term I usually use to describe the cheapest watch in Heuer's own range is economy and I think it's pretty evident that would apply to the Easy Rider. You also have the fact that the movement used, the Ebauches Bettlach 8420, is engineered down to a price compared to the movements in the other watches.

I have called it agricultural on here before and someone else called it "the worst chronograph movement ever". Perhaps a bit harsh, but certainly using this movement was a big reason why Heuer was able to charge so little for Easy Riders compared to their other watches.

: and they think it's
: ugly (which is wrong in my opinion).

Opinions, everyone has them and everyone is entitled to them. If I were to describe the Easy Rider, I would be using words like "unusual" and "distinctive". But they would just be weasel words to get around the fact that I don't really like it. To me, it's not an attractive or desirable watch. I'm not picking on it though, I'm not a fan of the Monaco either - it is quite telling, however, that that is more controversial in the Heuer-collecting world than not being a fan of Easy Riders. I totally agree you have a right to like them though!

: The dials are very colourful.

Can't argue with you there!

: In this particular ebay-item it seems to be a special edition from
: Leonidas. The dial is different from Heuer (for example the
: missing Jacky Ickx signing)

There are two different "series" of the Easy Rider, if you like. The ones above with the fibreglass case and no Jacky Ickx signature are the 423.809s. The Jacky Ickx Easy Riders have a chromed base metal case and the Jacky Ickx text and signature on the dial (and the higher price as a result):

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE