The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I Have Shortened a Grains Of Rice Bracelet, Exactly Once
In Response To: Feel so stupid ()

Yes, you can shorten the grains-of-rice (GOR) bracelet, with some patience and the right tools. The individual links must be opened and removed, and then the bracelet is put back together, by re-closing the remaining links / loops.

I did it once, and realized that the finish / tightness of the links had suffered, so at that point I decided that this was best left to the pros. Even then, I have heistated to have these grains of rice bracelets shortened. I am convinced that something is lost in the process, especially if it has to be done twice, once to shorten the bracelet and then to add back the links that were removed, if someone else buys the watch.

As a result, I have a couple of the grains of rice bracelets that fit my small wrist. When I receive a watch with a nice, full-length GOR bracelet, I tend to switch it out for a nice strap, and keep the bracelet in its original condition. Perhaps the pros can work with these, with no damage being done, but its just not worth the effort to me.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hi all,

: I feel a bit stupid. But then again then my watchmaker must as
: well. What the problem is? He tried to get my GF bracelet fitted
: for my -fairly small- wrist. Goes on a 2447 Carrera and has a
: foldable clip.
: He told me that is it not possible to shorten the bracelet by
: taking out single links. Is this correct without having to
: damage something? Difficult for me to believe. In any case, it
: still is too wide if I adjust the axle inside the foldable clip
: into its widest position.

: I know, I know, stupid question. But still, at least one who has
: the courage to ask the question...

: Cheers
: Ron

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE