The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Yet Another Article Predicting the Demise of Watches

Whenever I read one of these articles, what strikes me is that the research is poor or quite random.

When I was a kid, pretty much everyone had a watch, this was more out of necessity than fashion, and now there is accurate timekeeping offered by a mixture of non-watch technology, this necessity is gone. So, the article is correct on this. But, even as a child, some kids liked watches. Maybe it was inherited from their parents, maybe they got a nice watch as a gift, and it is this that will continue.

I would like to see some research of the students who completed their course at this college, and look for them in their new careers, and see if they are still not wearing a watch.

Cheers
Stewart

: Here's another article -- in The Huffington Post -- suggesting
: that we are approaching the point in history when there will be
: no wristwatches --

:
: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/22/obsolete-things-decade_n_800240.html#s210857&title=Watches
:
While wristwatches are certainly still a style statement
: and/or status symbol for many, they've increasingly been
: replaced by cellphones, laptops, and other gadgets, which tell
: time and eliminate the need for an extra accessory. A survey by
: Beloit College of its class of 2014 found, "Few incoming
: freshmen know how to write in cursive or have ever worn a
: wristwatch."

: OK, we can put this in the stack with all the other articles
: making this same prediction. At least the format of this
: presentation is interesting.

: Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE