The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Trying to ID My Vintage Heuer *PIC*

Sometime in the 1960s or early '70s my parents presented my brother and I with Heuer chronographs. We didn't have much money so this was a surprise, but my mother worked for a racecar driver/racing publisher who had connections in Switzerland, so that may have been the source. Mine was black with white registers and his was the opposite. I found mine yesterday after thirty years, a little worse for wear but still nice.

Anyway, I am blown away by this website and forum, and humbly ask for assistance in identifying this model, which is unmarked. It may be a Carrera but I can't find an exact match online yet. I am a complete novice, and the accompanying photo is pretty poor too, but hopefully you can point me in the right direction. I also need advice about repairs. Is this gold, and can it be cleaned up somehow? I thought the hands used to light up. Was the crown always silver or did that get worn down somehow? The second hand, right register, and both pushers do not work. How do you all approach repairs like this? The band is original...is that generally desirable?

I am a bookseller and know newbie questions when I see them, so now its my turn. Thanks.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE