The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
It's Sad When I Think of the Clean Lines - - -
In Response To: Sadly... ()

It's sad when I think of the clean lines and relatively simple designs that were the defining features of chronos designed to be worn by racers, astronauts, explorers and others who actually used these chronographs for their intended purposes.

They wanted legibility . . . they wanted reliability . . . they probably would not have selected the leopard-skin dial, the diamond markers and the jeweled bezel. Maybe it's some good fun for today's designers, but it's a stretch for me to see any real connection with the originals. But if someone wants to buy the things for big dollars, then we can expect Rolex to make them. Just like the lesser brands may be tempted to address their markets, as they race to the bottom.

All this, in my humble and biased opinion.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: It's only a limited mock-up edition.
: Supposedly, it is designed to show 'what can
: be done with a Daytona." It kinda makes
: you want to see what they could do with an
: Aston Martin, a Tiffany wedding band, an
: I.M. Pei building, don't it?!

: And I love Rolex.

: -Lyle Preslar

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE