The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Well, for a simple battery change I pay...

reasonable charge for a battery replacement?

Posted By: Tim Phipps Date: 7/17/03 17:39 GMT

I have a nice gold/ss quartz 1500 series TH. Had it for about 9 years. I had a local jeweler send it to Tag service two years ago for a battery replacement and was charged $140 for battery, seals, and a new crown. The battery died two years later and I took it to Bailey, Banks and Biddle in Pittsburgh, since they are an authorized TH dealer. Well they came back with a $250 charge for exactly the same service (battery, seals and crown). When I complained they said, ok, how about $200?

Needless to say, Bailey Banks & Biddle doesn't have a very high confidence level in the watch collecting community because of such tactics.

Needless to say, I am not impressed. That is way too much money to pay every two years to keep up a quartz watch. My automatics (also divers' watches) cost me about $200 every five years.

Well, you are paying for the Seals, Crown and the labor to change them. If a firm bills their watchmaker's time at $120 an hour and figuring in a markup for profit, you are pretty close to what they charge.

If you regularly swim or dive with your TAG 1500 Series, that is the price you pay.

Personally, and this is an aside, I'd buy an Invicta Automatic Diver's for under $100 and not worry about if the W/R is compromised... Because if it is, strip it for parts, pitch it and buy another... It's cheaper than seals on your TAG!

What do you all think? Should I complain to TH? I hear they are under new management.

First off I'd avoid BB&B's service... Anyone who's caving 20% on price that quickly bothers me...

For point of reference I pay $12.50 at Jared's: The Galleria of Jewelry, for a battery change. Now to be honest, that's a little steep, but it's lifetime... The next time the battery dies, I bring in the watch, they look it up on their computer and they change the battery for free. So while I could change the battery myself cheaper the first time, after the second time Jared's is cheaper... And I don't need to present a reciept... They store it on their computer system.

But be aware that is strictly for a battery change, your seals will not be checked or changed for that price. Of course the skill of the person doing the change will be a factor. Fortunately the folks at Jared's enjoy my visits because while I have yet to buy a new watch from them, I am probably their biggest customer when it comes to service and parts ordering and I usually bring in some of my vintage pieces for show and tell. They enjoy learning more about the heritage of the various brands. So they are very careful with my watches as to not add any scratches/nicks etc.

Thanks, and sorry if this issue has been beaten to death.

Nope, in fact I think this is the first time it's been asked over here!

Please convey our regards over in the Omega Forum.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox (Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE