The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Difficult Question: If Marked 1163 "V", Should be "Viceroy"
In Response To: Ref. question ? ()

This is a difficult question, and I am not sure that there is a simple answer.

We see a lot of cases marked only with the "1163" and we see other cases marked "1163 V". I do not currently have enough time to check files, but I do not recall seeing any cases marked "1163T" or "1163MH". So this tells me that when we see the "Sifferts" (1163T) or the so-called "Derek Bells" (1163MH), these cases are marked simply "1163", and they should not have a "V".

Later in their production, I believe that we saw the 11630V and the 11063V cases used for watches that were not "Viceroys", but I am not sure that we ever saw this with the 1163Vs . . . so I would say that in most instances, if the case is marked 1163V, then it should be a Viceroy. I expect that there are exceptions.

I will check further, as time permits, but this is my quick reaction.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++

: Dear members of this Heuer Forum

: I am a small vintage watch collector and have some Heuers since
: this brand has been always one of my favorites but now find
: myself with some doubts regarding some models. I'm glad to bee
: here as this site has been often part of my consulting place and
: hope you experts may guide me a bit as it might be that I don't
: very well know how to move in here. I would be very grateful if
: you people may clarify some of the dark points I still haven't
: been able to examine properly.

: I have some issues regarding the cases number as for the Autavias,
: the once that are 1163 V are meant for witch models other than
: the Viceroy?

: Thank you very much and greetings from Belgium.

: Bruno.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE