The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
It's a bit premature to say only 4 known!

I have 4 1158 S serial numbers in a list, yes, but there is also a first execution S with gold hands that I never had the serial for and a number of later examples where I don't know whether they correlate with the watches on that list or not. Total number I've seen would be closer to 10 than 4, but again it's difficult to know whether that includes the same watch more than once.

CHs probably about the same, CHNs probably twice as many as either, mainly with black on white date wheel. In maybe four years of checking closely, I think the number of 1158s I have seen would be somewhere between 25 and 30 - it's hard to tell how many of those are the same watch changing hands several times. I'm fairly sure that's not 30 discrete watches, certainly. So CHNs probably outnumber the rest, and I would have said 2 years ago that CHs in turn outnumber Ss but more silver dialled examples have been coming out of the woodwork since.

Really I think the only thing we can say for sure, is that whichever version of an 1158 you may have, it's a rare and attractive watch. That cost about 1/5 of a contemporary 911 if it's on the bracelet!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE