The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Passion for TROPIC straps.
In Response To: Passion for TROPIC straps. ()

I never really understood the appeal of these tropic sport straps. Furthermore I was surprised that they aren't particularly cheap. In fact, when I received my very first tropic strap, which came on a Heuer I bought, I sold it straight away (to Peter, I think).
It was only when bought another watch that also came with one, that I tried it on, and I instantly changed my mind. Now, I'm a big fan of them, and have a few. They seem to go very well indeed with the 11630's.

On paper, you may well muse that a rubber strap on a Monaco is thoroughly wrong, but that pic proves otherwise. It looks great.

But a word of caution, not that I need to warn you lot, but for those reading this who aren't familiar with these superb vintage tropic straps; make sure you buy an original one. I picked up a couple of 18mm's on eBay a few weeks ago. They were very cheap, so I had a worry that they may well be copies, but I thought that they couldn't be too bad and that it can't be difficult to make decent copies. How wrong I was. They were awful, mis-shaped, too thin, and so uneven that they were more like 16mm at the lugs.
S
Luckily they were only £8 or so for the pair. I chalked it up as experience. Sometimes you need to see the truly awful to fully appreciate the high quality of the originals.

Anyway, apologises for waffling on, I can make amends with a shot of one of my favourite Heuer's on a original Swiss tropic...

Cheers
Stewart

: Dear Friend
: I have a great passion for original rubber straps from 60's and
: 70's..
: Very soon i will add a rubber strap to all my vintage chronographs.
: Ready now 4 watches,today i want to share my Monaco.
: Have a nice day!
:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE