The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The Fight Against Vintage Entropy

Stewart,

I can't decide if your story makes me want to laugh or cry. It's with watches. It's with cars (I have a story about my '64 Healey for every repair I had to farm out to a mechanic). What is it that makes the people who are supposedly in the business of providing a service so cavalier with the concerns and sensibilities of their customers that, without warning or consent, they fix one thing while destroying another?

It reminds me of an electrician who was completing the installation of a light above the sink during a bathroom renovation. We had waited months to get the sink in, and it finally arrived and was installed. It was perfect. Then the electrician was to complete the trim of the light above the sink. He dropped a tool and cracked the sink below, which he neglected to cover or protect.

When he finished, he asked us to look at his work and approve it. I immediately saw the cracked sink, and asked what happened. He responded, "well, I dropped my pliers, but forget about the sink. What about my light? It's perfect, right?"

When I try to get a repair done on a watch or dash timer, I go through a litany of what I want and don't want. because everyone wants to fix or polish things to make them look pretty.

Scott

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE