The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Ref 2446C Autavias -- Two Dials (and Only Two Dials?)

All:

Reviewing the excellent thread below, regarding the 2446C Autavias -- http://chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=54564 -- and also reviewing the relevant area of OnTheDash -- http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/_Chronographs/62.Autavia/b.Manual--Snap-Back_Case/, as well as the Autavia Reference Table, I come to the following conclusions:

1. There were only two executions of black dials used in the 2446C Autavias.
  2. The first execution of the dial had applied steel markers, with no inserts, and no red accents on the dial. Please see the upper photo, shown below. [Hands that went with this dial were steel with luminous inserts.]
  3. The second execution of the dial had applied steel markers, with black inserts, and the dial also had red accents (hash marks placed at each hour marker. Please see the two lower photos, shown below. [Hands that went with this dial were steel with luminous inserts (distal) and black inserts (proximal).
  4. I believe that there was no “intermediate” dial, between these two (i.e., as soon as they added the black inserts to the markers, they added the red accents to the dial . . . and there is no such thing as a dial that has black inserts in the markers but no red accents on the dial).
  5. Finally, there were no ridged markers used on these dials . . . we have simple blocks, and blocks with inserts, but no ridges.
Please let me know if you believe that any of this is incorrect . . . and refer to the numbered statements, above. In other words, please send or post photos of any sample that has the black inserts (but no red accents) or ridged markers. I do not believe that these two exist, but of course I have been wrong before.

As soon as we are all in agreement, I will revise the Reference Table and OnTheDash Index page and Galleries to be consistent with our conclusions. Then we might explore some of the other details of these 2446Cs . . . case-backs, bezels and serial numbers. But first let's reach consensus on the dials.

As always, thanks for our community’s amazing insights and photos.

Jeff

Messages In This Thread

Ref 2446C Autavias -- Two Dials (and Only Two Dials?)
Re: Ref 2446C Autavias -- Two Dials (and Only Two Dials?)
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE