The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Heuer Autavia Frankenwatch - What to do?

Welcome to the forum Josh!

MH bezel is correct for Viceroy dial and handset, but what is a bit off is that serial number for that dial. The serial number is from the first batch of Autavias from 1969, when the hour register would definitively have been marked 3-6-9-12 and the movement would have been Cal 11. The "fully" marked hour register seems to be for the 1972 model year, coming in part way through 1971, so there are a couple of anachronisms in the watch pointing to some degree of assembly or at least replacement, which is probably what your stepfather's customer was picking up on.

It shouldn't have too much of an impact on value - not enough to make you want to part it out and sell off separately anyway! The case seems to be the main sticking point here - I have done some research on Viceroy serials, but it needs another article to be published before it's publishable itself. I do have a pretty good idea of what serial range I would have expected though, if you did want to try and hunt down a more period correct case.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE