The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Carrera 510.523

Very nice to receive this one eventually, first of all I had to wait for a hand-carry from the US, then off to heuerboy for a new crystal; a swift turn-around by Nic and it got to me just before leaving the UK.

First of all, I can't say this was extremely high in my list of WTBs; from pictures the case looks blocky, like the Omega 125s or Lemania cushion case style watches, and I have to say that style isn't my particular favourite. However, when I unwrapped it and tried it on I was quite smitten - not at all blocky or 'massif', it reminded me of Daniel saying his was comfortable to wear and I can now see exactly what he means - unobtrusive, quite lightly proportioned and quite unassuming.

It would appear that this watch originally came with 2 types of bracelet, the 'Jubilee' style, with fitted end pieces and a 20mm width* and the 'coffin link' style bracelet marked 'TAG Heuer' with the unfitted end pieces and 23mm width* bracelet (* - watch side of the bracelet).

Here's the catalogue picture with the 'Jubilee' style - although as was pointed out to me - I've never actually seen this bracelet with the 523 in 'real life':

And Chucks own 'coffin link':

The period of turmoil within Heuer during this particular phase is well known, and discrepencies, variations and alterations are quite common; this is just another one of those I think, using a TAG bracelet but Heuer dial markings - perhaps a later watch in the production run, it does look very similar to the Audi Sport bracelet.

I don't mind the white '12hr' hand - it seems to me that you could lend reasons both for and against having it in either colour, but to me it looks fine.

Here is the caseback -

...with no markings except for a small '510.523' engraved into the caseback -

Despite looking quite a 'flat' watch head-on, the side view shows the curve of the case -

And here with another Heuer, the 510.501 -

The radial 'sunburst' graining is only vestigial at best on mine, certainly the result of over-enthusiastic polishing at some stage, so perhaps when time allows I'll send it off to a Dutch watchmaker to work his magic.

The similarity between the SAAF, World Time and the Carrera have been pointed out before, ( http://forum.atgvintagewatches.com/showthread.php?t=3310&highlight=510.523 ), but just out of interest here is a direct comparison:

The case is, however, not the same as the Omega version, which is 22mm lug width and radiused lug interior plus other slight differences:

(Both courtesy Eric/Eptaz@WuS)

BUT, I did see another Lemania dialled watch with what I suspect is this case, here on the left, owned by Greg at WuS -

Anyway, the hunt continues as to be honest I'm very pleased with this one - far more than I thought I would be to be frank, so, perhaps a 510.511 is next on the cards...?!

Andy

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE