The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Mr. Delaney: Can You Speculate About Buyers?

: Mr. Delaney:

: Not knowing whether you might have any "inside"
: information about these sales (racing suit, Heuer Monaco and
: GT40), or whether it might be pure speculation, but I am
: wondering whether you might be able to suggest who the buyers of
: these items might be (by category)? Car enthusiasts / collectors
: of Hollywood memorabilia, but any idea who they are? Oligarchs?
: Oil money? Silicon Valley types? Do you have any ideas, at all?

: Also, any insights into the market for McQueen items, versus other
: Hollywood icons / racing or film stars?

: Thanks for bringing this GT40 to our attention and thanks for any
: further insights!!

jeff;

as a dealer in things " movie " and " celebrity ", all i can tell you that there is a multiple attached to things that belonged to certain celebrities.
in my 20 years as a dealer/market maker, i have never seen anything like this mcQueen multiple;

some recent examples: mcqueens 1970 porsche 911s driven in lemans retail value $60,000-70,000 sold for 1,300,000 a multiple of 18.5 times
mcqueens persol sunglasses reportedly worn in the thomas crowne affair retail value $ 300.00 sold for $70,000 a multiple of a staggering 233 times
mcqueens personal rolex 5511 submariner retail $ 8,000 sold for $ 234,000 a multiple of 29.2 times
mcqueens heuer monaco worn in production of lemans retail value $ 9,000 sold for a mind blowing $ 800,000 a multiple of 88.8 times

so a pattern has clearly developed for mcqueen owned and used items this is not a one off by chance occassion... the prices are obviously realized as the result of multiple bidders clammering for a piece of the mcqueen pie.

as an aside; i noticed the following McQueen vehicle for sale now:
a 1941 chevrolet pick up truck with title in his own name for a buy it now of $99,000

so lets do the math and come up with that multiple 1941 chevrolet truck partialy restored retail value $ 12,000 so only a multiple of 8.2 hmm seems cheap compared

http://www.midamericaauctionsbid.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?midamerica1/97

elvis, james dean and marilyn monroe items all have sold for multiples for considerably less.. way less..

to answer your question as to who or whom is buying these items ???

unfortunately i have seen a growing trend of these items leaving our shores and heading to overseas museums and to collectors trying to shed euro's before the euro gets to par with the u.s. dollar.. ( the call feature creatively built into the euro on its inception ) who knew ??

MD

: ++++++++++++++++++++

:

: :

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE