The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
No Real Surprise
In Response To: One Thing Surprised Me: 1930s? ()

: .....I thought that the iconic symbol of
: great American watchmaking would be from the late 1800s / turn
: of the 20th century? Surprised that your "one watch"
: recommendation would be from approximately 50 years later.

: In terms of the American watchmaking industry, is there a simple
: way to think about the differences between these two periods?

Jeff,

You asked me about the classic RR watch. My answer would have been different if you had asked about the best American watch or my favorite American watch. I think what I gave you is the ultimate expression of the American RR watch. There are certainly great RR watches from the 1890s but RR Standards were not as uniform then so the definition of a RR watch at this time is harder to get at. Also, although I like the earlier watches better they are not as advanced mechanically and parts are much harder to get.

Perhaps the "BEST" American watch is the 21jewel Grade '72 American Grade Waltham. A story of the day has it that the President of Waltham gave a tour of the plant to the President of Vacheron Constantine in about 1874. At the end of the tour the pres of VC was presented with a beautiful gold 21j mod '72 American grade. The president of Waltham asked if the pres of VC wanted the head of the Waltham adjusting room to give it the custom treatment before he took it. The pres of VC said no...that he wanted the watch just the way a wealthy American consumer might get it from a jeweler. Well, as the story has it the pres of VC took the watch back to his head watchmaker and asked for an opinion. The opinion was the no watch that VC currently made could compare.

Original versions of this rare watch don't come up for sale very often but when they do they seem to sell for way past $10,000. They are beyond beautiful.

JC

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE