The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My "NEW" 1163T Heuer Autavia "Great White" / "White Boy"
I wanted to share pictures of my new Heuer Autavia 1163T "Great White" that I just acquired. I am very interested in learning more about this watch. From the research I have done, it is extremely rare.

My "new" Great White 1163T

The Serial number is 224756 The model #1163 is on the other side between the 12:00 lugs.

I just purchased this watch from the original owner who shared a great story about how he was able to buy this special watch back in 1972. This person was an avid Scuba Diver and traveled all the way to the Sinai Peninsula to a place named Sharmel Scheck. It is there, virtually in the middle of the desert that he met a group of divers. They invited him and his wife to join the "expedition" the following day to a dive site names Ras Mohammad, just off the cost of Saudi Arabia.

Two of the people in the group were from Hasselblad AB, from Sweden testing their "new" underwater camera housing, as well as 4 watchmakers from Heuer Switzerland. As a result of diving for a week together, one of the watchmakers agreed to sell one of only two watches he was permitted to buy each year. So a few months after this amazing dive trip, this special watch arrived. This was back in 1972. (I will be getting a more accurate narrative with the exact dates and name of the watchmaker who originally sold this watch to my customer in the next week or so.)

This watch has never been serviced and has been sitting in a safety deposit box for the past 20 years. I even have the original box and extra links

Is anyone familiar with this particular model with the cream white dial, chocalate registers and yellow hands and hour markers? I haven't been able to find any other information online about this exact watch. Either it is extremely rare or a frankenstein.....

Messages In This Thread

My "NEW" 1163T Heuer Autavia "Great White" / "White Boy"
1972 Singer change of colour...
Re: My "NEW" 1163T Heuer Autavia "Great White" / "White Boy"
There are indeed very rare Jeff
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE