The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Autavia Celebration Countdown D-2

OK, OK, another GMT. Why stop when you are on a roll? This is the last Autavia I bought - by that, I mean the most recent, I hope it isn't the last one..

I was never really convinced about this GMT model, it was sort of the ugly duckling of the GMTs in my mind. But then when Jeff coined the "Shauntavia" name for the standard 7740 Autavia models, I felt that I "needed" a 7740 based GMT in my collection (honestly, none of us really "need" these watches, but that's a discussion for another time or probably better another forum).

Actually I also had a chequered history with this model....

I was chasing the one in the Haslinger auction; I knew it had a refinished case but the dial was nice. I actually "won" the watch at the auction, at a high but reasonable price - the hammer came down on my bid. But then Bonhams decided it was a mistake and allowed some remote bids to come in. I didn't both to bid on after that. I was pretty shocked - I doubt a buyer can change his mind after the hammer falls, but it seems the auction house can (no complaints on Arno, Bonhams were running the auction). Anyway, all is well that end's well the cliche goes; and so it turned out... a few years later, actually a couple of weeks ago, Abel alerted me to this one on Chrono24, and I quickly bought it. It was expensive, but really, really nice condition - the photos don't do it justice to be honest.

One thing people have commented on it that usually the bezels on this model are a very metalic shiny finish, where this is a more standard bezel. It could be a replacement bezel but it is very, very unlikely, given the very good condition of the case and dial, it would be very surprising if the bezel was replaced as the watch has hardly seen any wear. Most likely explanation is either a custom choice when it was purchased, or just the usual Heuer randomness.

Thanks Jeff and everyone on the forum for your very kind response to these posts. It's been fun. Roll on tomorrow -

Shaun

PS: I sort of miscalculated the days as D-1 will be tomorrow, I knew it when I started but I thought (1) no self respecting countdown starts at 9 and (2) I'd try post two days in one, so I'll have to do that...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE