The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Wish I was in complete agreement with them, but …

Posted By: jhb [Date: 8/12/04 04:16 GMT]

yup i agree completely. i also prefer the lemania 1873 over the eta / d/d module setup. it's too bad tag can't get the lemanias anymore. no hope either for a el primero version carrera reissue. here's a quote from an email i got from tag heuer after the online discussion of the new monaco v-4 concept......i decided to take advantage while questions were being accepted early to step off track and see what the possibility was of a carrera reissue with the cal 36 (el primero)......

“No we did not plan to use the Calibre 36 in other Classics reissues than the Monza. We have also a Link Calibre 36. As you see with the V4, TAG Heuer is getting legitmacy in mechanical movement. An in-house traditional mechanical movement would be a possible development for us. We thought that it was more relevant for us to innovate in a high tech mechanical rather than in a traditional one given our DNA.”

j.h.

I wish I was in complete agreement with them, but I'm not in this case.

I have no problem with TAG-Heuer experimenting with the V4, as long as it'll eventually lead to a quality, durable , reliable, usable movement for the consumer and a chronograph version as well. As Omega's recent/ongoing experience with their c.33xx movement shows, that's a very tall order, but I have no major difficulties with them thinking outside the box and making the attempt. It may establish a new standard for movements for all I or anyone else know.

On the other hand, I feel the Carrera is the Zenith (pardon the wordy pun) of recent (probably going back to the late 1980's even) TAG-Heuer product offerings, not just the Classics line. The 1964 Re-Edition (not to be confused by the "40 years" model) is the best reason to have a Classics line. In it's original Valjoux 72 trim or with the Lemania 1873, the Carrera is a near clinch "must-have" watch in any chronograph collector's colection. It's worthy of a high-quality movement as befit's it's heratage. The ETA/Dubois-Depraz simply isn't it. If TAG-Heuer can get a V4 (or derivative) to fit in a case the same dimensions as a 1964 (original or re-edition) dimension case, that's fine. If not, put in an El-Primero or a El-Primero HW, or even an Zenith Elite (Handwind would be best, but either way) into her and keep that heratage alive!

As for the Monza... Interesting watch, not to my tastes, but interesting,... But the only thing classic about the current Monza is it's name. Everything else about it is new from the drawing board on up. I wish they had made the Monza a Classic in more than just name. The original Monza is a very cool watch. The new one? eh, at best it's interesting, I suppose if you like that look.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Chronographs, like many things in life, only improve with age…

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE