The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
I'm a Chronograph Idiot Savant...

carcharios Posts: Re: Why I don't rate Micro-Rotors any higher... [8/12/04 17:50 GMT]:

Wow Chuck, you really do know your watch movements.

[anchor point alpha] I know a bit about modern chronograph movements...

Ok, so based on everything you just said,

and a year and a couple of months ago...

what is your take on the value of the 1970's carreras sporting caliber 12's? I paid apprx $1,200 USD for the one listed on the below link.

Isn't that one still listed for sale up there? Maybe they haven't updated the page Maddox! Ok...

Was that too high considering your assessment of the Caliber 12?

I don't know... Truth be told I don't follow or chart what various movements are selling for. I also don't follow the prices of 1970's Micro-Rotor Carrera's, I'm more of a fan of the '60's and '80's Carrera's personally.

But the movement is merely one component of what a watch is worth or is valued at (yes, worth and valued are two different things). There is the case, dial, extras, rarity, historical significance, location and the desire of the purchaser, among others. I paid around $1,800 for a Jo Siffert model Autavia last fall, it has a Calibre 12 I believe (might be a c.11, I forget). Sifferts go for more ca$h, Monaco's draw even more ca$h.

But I have seen this epoch of Carrera selling in the $1,000-1,300 range so I imagine (but don't know) that you paid a fair price.

Also, what are your thoughts on the Omega 564 movement found in the Constellations manufactured in the 70's?

Please refer to [anchor point alpha] above... ‘I know a bit about modern Chronograph movements.’ I'm a Chronograph Idiot Savant, I know next to nothing about watch movements that don't have pushers. The c.56x Omega movement aren't a Chronograph movements, so I coould only repeat what I've heard.

These were officially certified chronometers. Do you like these movements?

I've heard good things about them

Many have said that the Omegas manufactured during the 70's were of low quality compared to those of the 80's and 90's.

Most Omega Chronometre Elitists prefer 1960's and earlier models to 1970's models, and it's well known that Omega had seen enough writting on the wall that they started to work on less expensive movements in the 1970's. So that sounds like it might be a fair assessment.

Do you find this to be the case?

While the late 1960's and 1970's were the most exciting epoch for chronograph collectors like myself, it was not so for non-chronograph collectors.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

(Article index @ http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html)

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Chronographs, like many things in life, only improve with age…

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE