The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Off topic (sort of): The Poets Embrace (Haines)

Here is a record review or Nathan Haines' album the Poet's Embrace. I think this is a first for onthedash, but I'd be happy if it was not the last...

So why is it only "sort of" off topic? Well, how often do you see albums where the cover photo has the artist wearing a beautiful third generation Autavia screwback? (google Nathan Haines Vermillion Skies) How often do you see albums where the artist is a sometime contributor to this forum?

BTW : I have no affiliation to him at all. So back to the review...

Intrigued by the Nathan's posts of onthedash, I felt I had to give one of his albums a listen. So I bought the Poet's Embrace and really loved it. It is beautiful classic jazz influenced by the great Blue Note era. The music is inspired by that era but is not just a pastiche, it is original and vibrant. If you love Miles, Coltrane, Mingus or any of the other golden era greats, you really should buy the album; if you don't think you like jazz, maybe try this album (probably you should also buy a few Miles or Mingus records, to be honest - I guess Nathan would share that view).

One other aspect which I should mention is that the sound quality is just superb. I bought the album on CD which I regret, it is available on vinyl and I am sure it would be even more amazing. The album sleeve explains that a lot of care was taken on the recording, using analog tapes direct to stereo. The record will sound great on an average system, but it really shines on something decent. If you don't have anything other than iTunes it will probably still sound good but it is a shame to miss out on high quality music... (not sure if the album is available on hi res download, it might be).

Just to drift slightly more on topic...here is a photo showing some other newer items inspired by a golden great of the 1960's:

Shaun

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE