The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Gallet sponsored Jim Clark in 1965, not in 1966 or 1967!

I contacted Gallet Watch when I read some "heavy affirmations" regards this prestigious maison about their relations with Jim Clark and their technical sponsorship that I read (and now disappared...).
Gallet sent me a prompt answer with Mr. John Carlini's document and this picture.

Now, it seems to me to read "1965" Indy 500, when the "research" shows pictures of Jim Clark's watch in 1966-1967.
So, If I find pictures of 1 year later than we talk about, it seems to me a little bit inapposite to tell "Jim Clark never worn a Gallet chronograph", also because a watch company is not the last collector on the world that try to create a legend... we talk about law and an official watch producer know that a story like that can create a real big image damage with all the consequences easily imaginable.
So, welcome the research, but I think we must be very, very cautious in writing certain things, expecially if the research is wrong.
I can accept to see it with some pics of 1965 Indy 500 with another chronograph on Jim Clark wrist... but it is not a proof to see pics of 1 or 2 year later...
Jim was a great champion and, sure, every maison have stood in line to put a watch on his wrist. I don't think he bought a watch... simply he take 10 watches to give like gift (not sell, he was a rich man...) like sponsoring. Jo Siffert too made a part of his Heuer sponsoring payment in "exchange goods" and sold the watches!

So, I'm happy to see that the researcher corrected his words in these last days.

I wanna close my post with a little anectode.
In 1991 Vincenso Sospiri, a great friend of mine (we raced in karts in those years), was driving for Lola Middlebridge F3000 European Championship (when F3000 taken place of European F2 and was the only way to have an F1 wheel...). In the Vallelunga race I was on Vincenzo's box. He asked me to take his times, Zanardi, Fittipaldi and Damon Hill (Vincenzo's teammate) times from "trincea" corner to "esse" corner exit. In 1991 there was no data logger also in F3000 and me and my father used stopwatches to check intermediates with different aerodynamic loads of our friend. In 1991, 26 years later of 1965 Indy 500. Unfortunately it was not help, because the Lola proved uncompetitive compromising the season of our friend.
Hope I have not bored anyone ...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE