The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
off topic (sort of)

Sort of off topic, apologies.

Any recommendations for move from my 35mm SLR (Minolta Dynax, upper spec model) to digital?
Not sure wether to go for cheaper non-SLR model and wait for improvements in SLRs, or splurge now for the SLR.

Thing that bugs me is that (away from Heuers) I generally do a lot of shooting at 24-28mm focal length.
With the smaller CCD chips in all but the high end digital cameras, this multiplication factor (1.6x?) on the focal length worries me. Is the performance at lowest focal length still OK if you are using a lens which I guess was originally designed to be “fisheye” (16-17mm focal length on a 35mm, 24-28mm on a digital)?

Maybe in 1 year SLRs with full size CCDs (ie multiplacation factor = 1) will be decent price (for me that is under 1000 sterling).

Or is this a nothing issue?

Other requirements... easy method to lock spot metering and lock focus on an off centre subject.
Used to have a Canon EOS where you could select the focus/metering point by just looking at the point in the viewfinder. Worked superbly well. Is that still on the Canon digital SLRs?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE