The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Did Breitling Actually Use PVD in 1969??

Hi Jeff , I was hoping someone would pick up on this and in particular the date, doesn't surprise me it was you ;-)

its serial number 1310992 places it in the 2nd half of 1969 as a build date , and since I firmly believe its not a coating applied by a 3rd party I conclude its original
Also the dial / case combination is only found on PVD cases . No other Breitling Chrono-Matic uses this particular 'all black' dial , its only found in PVD cases

How rare ? ermmm.. its a Breitling ref 2114 and I have been able to find 2 others on the interwebs (google pics) I am sure there must be others out there , I've just been unable to find them yet

The bezel on this one is 38mm and the height 15mm , as its a nice medium size its very comfortable to wear

Rgds
Rene

: Rene:

: Very interesting to see this one!! Did Breitling actually use PVD
: (or similar) coating as early as 1969?

: I thought that I had heard that Porsche Design (perhaps meaning
: Orfina or Eterna) was the first to use black PVD on a
: chronograph case? Perhaps this was earlier than 1969, but this
: would be surprising to me. Can you help us with the chronology?

: Tell us more about the beauty that you have posted? What size?
: Comfortable to wear? How rare are these?

: Jeff

: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

:

: :

Messages In This Thread

caliber 11 PVD Chrono-Matic from 1969
Did Breitling Actually Use PVD in 1969??
Re: Did Breitling Actually Use PVD in 1969??
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE