The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
You cant rotate the backcase center
In Response To: Re: Monaco Mystery ()

I hate to disappoint those that wished to adjust their backcase markings but the backcase center is most certainly unable to rotate.

To Steve, i have never before seen the Tool.033 marking upside down. I dont exclude the chance that it was incorrectly marked by the case maker but i cautiously ask where/when did you purchase your watch ?
The reason i ask is that 3-4 years ago we started seeing convincing but not perfect re-made Monaco cases coming from Hungary. The same seller also went on the hunt for spare Monaco dials and assembled a few franken Monaco's.
By far the majority of those franken Monaco's were Cal.15 variants. He sold on ebay under 2/3 different names & sometimes claimed he was based in Germany, however the items were sent from Hungary.
I returned a case through paypal - after it arrived i contacted the seller to complain that the backcase had incorrect markings & also that the inner backcase markings were incorrect. He did not seem surprised at all, never denied the case was a re-make & even asked advice on which particular fonts & spacing were the easiest to spot the differences. Naturally i did not offer any advice on that point !!! The top case was very convincing but the spacing of the model number ( 1133 ) was too close.
I hope i haven't scared you Steve & i most certainly dont want to discredit your Monaco but i would suggest you look in great detail at the Heuer symbol spacing & lettering + the spacing on the Tool.033 section compared to your other sample & to known OTD resource pictures.
Good luck - Darren

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE