The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Thinking out loud (& I'm not a watchmaker)...
In Response To: Autavia vs Autavia GMT ()

: Can anyone tell me what exactly is the internal
: differences between the caliber 11/12
: movement used in the Autavia vs the caliber
: 14 movement used in the Autavia GMT? I'm
: looking for information as to whether it's
: the actual microrotor automatic movement
: that's got the additional 24 hr hand
: machanism or is it the chonograph portion.
: Pictures that I have of both show only the
: chrono portion which appears to be identical
: between the two movements. Anyone had one
: apart?

Thinking out loud (& I'm not a watchmaker)... The 24-hour mechanism in the c.14 (and for that matter the Valjoux 72) has nothing really to do with the chronograph portion of the mechanism... All the GMT hand is, is a second hand likely driven off of the regular hour hand geared to rotate half as often (once every 24 hours instead of every 12) and syncronized with the hour hand.

It'd be hard for me to imagine any impact it would have on the chronograph portion of the watch.

-- Chuck

Messages In This Thread

Autavia vs Autavia GMT
Thinking out loud (& I'm not a watchmaker)...
Re: Thinking out loud (& I'm not a watchmaker)...
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE