The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Price Range for Daytonas
In Response To: Heuer Daytona Smoke ()

I believe that the smoke dial (Fume / Smoke, with code "F" on the back of the case) is rarer than the blue, but for some reason lots of people seem to prefer the blue for their Daytonas. I have heard some collectors suggest a premium, maybe 20%, for the Fume, but it's tough to see this in the market, since side-by-side comparisons are difficult.

The recent market for blue Daytonas might be something like the following: the very best ones might sell for $1600 to $1800; good ones in the $1200 to $1400 range; just about anything that ticks, or can be made to tick with some work, will sell for $800 to $1000.

The dial is probably the most important single factor that will determine value -- the Blue ones can turn to tan / brown, and the Smoke ones can turn all kinds of colors. Hands and markers can also wander around the spectrum of colors, moving from white to tan or cream.

Thanks for your question.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Gents & Ladies,

: My first time to this site... I've got an
: original Daytona with a smoke dial, and I
: would rate the condition at 7.5/10 (light
: crystal scratches and case markings from
: normal wear). Bracelet & buckle, as well
: as MVMT of course, are original (CAL12).
: Could anyone help me in understanding the
: current value of this watch? It seems prices
: have risen dramatically recently, but I
: wanted to know from those of you with
: expertise.

: Regards, and thanks for the help,

: JD
: Ohio, USA

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE