The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Gentlemen, I tend to agree with Jim here...
In Response To: Outed: Poor Man's GMT ()

: Just wanted to say that IMHO this informational
: posting only hurts the Heuer community. By
: potentially generating more bidding action
: from publicizng it to everyone, it could
: cause prices for the buyer of the item to
: rise. I am sure the seller loves your post,
: but the buyer gets screwed out of a better
: deal, which in the end is what we all want
: on the buy side.

: There is a difference when a post happens to
: show a watch with a questionable heritage,
: but even then, in the interests of
: bidding/buying, I would prefer to see a link
: only to the picture of the subject watch.

: I was not even aware of this item or going to
: bid on it, but in the future I hope these
: types of posts will be discouraged by the
: Administrators as I see them serving no real
: purpose to the community.

: Rant over.

Gentlemen (& ladies),

I tend to agree with Jim here... I have little qualms about people asking about authenticity on a watch being listed for sale, even though we have a Counterfeit Watcher's forum specifically for those type of queries/discussions. As we are trying to avoid FS, FSOT, WTB, etc. types of posts within this forum, and it can be difficult to determine intent. It's _possible_ that someone could be accused of shilling when that is not the intention, or conversely actually be shilling for a seller and it is very difficult for Derek, Jeff or I to distinguish the difference.

I would propose an alternative...

If you see a watch on eBay or elsewhere and you think you remember that someone was looking for one, either a) take the time to search the forum with some likely terms (in this case GMT), and contact them directly, OR b) post a message and say someing to the effect "Who was looking for a Poor Man's GMT Chrono?" with a contact me via email mailto:my_email_address@your_isp.com ... or both a & b, I'm easy.

Fair enough?

This will make things easier for Derek, Jeff and I be within the spirit for the forum guidelines and set in motion the means of getting the information to the people who are interested in it.

What I propose achieves the dual objectives of getting the information to the parties who need it, while not starting down the slippery slope of shills, or this forum becoming an echo of Sales Forum.

If you can think of a better method I'd be interested to hear it.

-- Chuck

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE