The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Odd 73653 Carrera?
In Response To: Re: Odd 73653 Carrera? ()

Hi Mark.

I still do a double take when I see your forum name, but I guess it's fine to welcome another Mark M to the fold!

Now, here's the thing. There is no doubt in my mind that the wider hands were designed for the double markers. But equally, there is no doubt that Heuer in the 60s and 70s was a fairly parsimonious organisation and they were going to use those stocks up, come hell or high water. Also, unlike today's operation where an individual performs a single operation before sending the watch-to-be along a vacuum tube for someone else to perform the next operation, assembling a watch in the 70s seems to have been the work of fewer, maybe even a single, individuals and each seemed to be working from a personal stock.

So while we give executions in the table, it's not such a hard cut off as that might suggest and in the real world what we see is a more fluid mix of characteristics. So while we might say: 12 hour dial, double markers, wide hands, tachy at 1, we often see a mix and match approach and we see it often enough to be pretty comfortable that at least some of the watches left the factory that way.

So I wouldn't panic about your watch :)

Mark (also M) :)

Messages In This Thread

Odd 73653 Carrera?
agree
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE