The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Confused. Would you post/email pictures?

I'm confused. Would you post/email pictures of your Golden Hours Chronograph as I own an example of the Jubilee and it uses standard spring bars.

-- Chuck

Hi Chuck,

In an effort to add further to the confusion:)

My watch is also an Ed Heuer & Cie 125th eme (not sure what eme stands for; edition?),

I don't either... Perhaps one of the Peanut Gallery can chime in...

although here is where it gets really confusing. It is identical in every way (other than the anniversary markings on the dial rather then the normal Heuer Chevron), to be based upon model #734.508 as illustrated in the 1983 Chronograph Catalog entitled "Time for Action", which was so graciously illustrated on the OTD site.

This one?

The Heuer 'Golden Hours' Chronograph Manual' also listed my watch via the "Articles" link on the OTD site, which I now see was put together by none other yourself (Thanks!)

No problem! You're welcome!

, identifies this particular GH watch as having either the Valjoux 72C, 723 or 88 movement.

The 72C, 723 and 88 are all variations of the same thing. I belive the 723 is the non-moonphase whilst the 72C and 88 are the Triple-Date Moonphase or (as I sometimes call it) the DDMM for Day-Date-Month-Moonphase).

As far as I can tell, my 125th Anniversary watch is based upon the GH as identified in this manual, pg. 2 second column 'B' ("Chronograph-watch, version with date and phases of the moon. Ref. 721.208").

On the left?

Moreover, the OTD Chrono Master Reference Table listing under "Golden Hours" lists the GH I have as the '734.508, Champagne/Moon'. My watch is solid 18K, with a gorgeous machine polished and gilded Valjoux 7734 movement.

Two-Register, correct?

To further the mystery, I also collect Chronoswiss watches. I recently happened upon a NOS early Chronoswiss Valjoux 7750 based Moon Phase Chrono, which much like my GH Heuer, is considered to be rather obscure, and oddly enough, even has the mysterious eme listed at the end of the model number! As I began doing some research pertaining to this watch, a member of the Time Zone Chronoswiss forum forwarded me pictures of two early Chronoswiss, and to my astonishment, they are so similar to the Heuer Golden Hours watch that I own that I don't think it can be merely a coincidence.

Probably aren't... Lots of cat's and dogs living together in sin in the old days too!

Upon further inquiry, I discovered that the Chronoswiss/Golden Hours look a likes were produced through a partnership between Albert Rochat & Fils and Chronoswiss, and both names appear on the dial! I have since learned that A. Rochat & Fils still finishes most of the ETA movements used in Chronoswiss watches today, which are considered to be some of the most beautiful produced. Perhaps they supplied the dial and completed the beautiful gild work on the movement of my watch. Perhaps Heuer 'outsourced' the entire GH watch for them to produce for them.

Quite Possible...

Who knows? It is a mystery to me! Although I have never been a participant of OTD discussions in the past, I really enjoy reading the posts, and I have learned quite a bit by doing so, and I know that many of the community enjoy solving Heuer mysteries, and perhaps here is a new one for discussion.

Indeed... I seem to remember scanning in some catalogs related to this a while back. Let me find them...

No joy! I couldn't find them, looked for about 45 minutes... I'll look through my catalogs again over the weekend if I get a chance, and I might be able to do some scanning on Tuesday.

I don't have a server/URL to load my pics onto the OTD site, so I will send you pics of my Heuer, as well as a couple of pictures of the Chronoswiss/A. Rochat watches directly to your email address, but I will not do so without first having your permission to do so.

Please feel free to do so!

Thanks for your interest, and I apologize for the novel, but it's nice to get this all recorded for my future reference (;-)

You need to type with paragraphs... Mono-block "stream-of-conciousness" posts are difficult to read through, much less respond to. If you break up your thoughts into blocks of 4-12 sentences on a common thought or action it really makes things easier to read and respond to. But compared to some of my posts, your thoughts were concise and to the point!

~Bruce Cabl

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE