The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: How to exchange AUTAVIA bezel
In Response To: How to exchange AUTAVIA bezel ()

: Alex
Which Autavia are you talking about,as i don't have experience of doing this on all models,although i suspect most models will be similiar.
My advice would be......get a watch maker to do it for you,however it can be done with some care by you........its up to you.....so here's how....

I will use a Viceroy as an example for bezel changing.........the bezel is held in position by means of a small piece of spring wire shaped like a octagon/pentagon. This is hidden inside the bezel rim and locates on the watch casing when fitted onto the watch.
To remove the bezel,you must release the spring wire from its locator,care must be taken as these spring wires can snap easily, but placing a suitable impliment,say a pocket knife blade carefully between the outer bezel edge and the watch case where they meet,in the small gap, from the side and carefully easing the blade inward towards the crystal, should realse the bezel from its location and it should pop up. Do not force the blade in and be gentle otherwise you may bend the bezel. You should now be able to remove the bezel by simply lifting it upward,but again be care incase the spring is still located at some point.

You should now have a complete bezel and hidden spring off the watch. On a click bezel you should take note that the underside of the bezel is groved. These groves locate onto small ball bearing roller that are hidden underneath the bezel and usually fitted into the watch case......care must be taken not to loose these bearings as they could fall out if you turn the watch case over.

You can now exchange the bezel,clean it,replace the insert/spring......whatever.

When replacing it,carefully place the bezel over the area it came from and gently press it down and it should click into position.

Regards
Bryan

HI, any idea if this can be only done by a
: professional watch maker or is this also
: possible by "us"?
: regards
: Alex
: PS: just delete NOSPAM from my mail address for
: direct access.

Messages In This Thread

How to exchange AUTAVIA bezel
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE