The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Favorite Watch -- Some Thoughts

OK -- let me start to work on an answer, expecting that I may not get there in this message, but will at least have eleiminated a few that are / were on the "short list". I will likely continue this message, as time permits.

Last week, I put these two on the short list. I love the GMTs, and these two are the favorites in that category.

. . . and like anyone considering this question, there are the "classics" -- Carrera and Monaco, so let's get those two out of the way.

But, if I could only own watch, it probably wouldn't be either of these -- the Carrera would get a bit boring as a daily wearer; the Monaco is just the opposite, too loud for some situations (say, with a tuxedo).

If I had to wear one every day, 365 days for the year, it might be this one, which does get lots of wrist-time of late.

but, again, there might be situations where this clunker, in its military olive drab, would just be too much . . . and for this reason, I won't even put a Silverstone on the list . . . just seems like to much to wear 24x7x365.

which takes me back to this old favorite . . .

yes, it's a "tool" watch, but it's not so big that it screams out at people across the room; it can be hidden under almost any sleeve . . . and it's very rare, so if I could only keep one, this one might just be the most difficult to replace.

. . . and speaking of scarcity, how about this Carrera 12 Dato? It would take a while to find another one of these, and I really do enjoy wearing it.

TO BE CONTINUED . . . at least I have taken a few off the list [Carrera, Monaco, Silverstone and the Green Guy (and I suppose the Pewter Guy, as well)] . . . for the moment, the "short list" will consist of an Autavia GMT, the first execution Autavia and the Carrera 12 Dato.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE