The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Currently Constrained by Size of the Movement(s)

I believe that TAG Heuer is currently constrained, in its ability to make smaller, thinner chronographs, by the size of the Cal 1887 (Heuer 01) and Heuer 02 movements. Designing and going into production on a new in-house movement is a big undertaking, so I expect that we will have to live with the 42 by 16 mm cases for the foreseeable future.

Add the current preference for larger cases, and I suspect that we are out of luck. Just another reminder that TAG Heuer (and most other brands) are making watches for buyers other than the vintage crowd.

Sadly, the JLC shown below remains my favorite modern watch. But I do enjoy the TAG Heuer Autavias (Black and Jack), on occasion . . . and they retail at half the price of the JLC.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hodinkee has announced a new Autavia, based on the vintage
: "Orange Boy".

: My posting --
: http://thoughts.onthedash.com/thoughts/autavia-hodinkee-orange-boy/

: Shown below, the vintage and modern versions . .

: Jeff

:
:

:
:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE