The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Heuer Autavia 11630 KAF "Decomp-Dial"

Hey folks,

just came upon this really rare bird -

a Heuer Autavia 11630 KAF with the rare Decomp Dial. So it's pretty much a 11630p but instead of the decomp bezel with the KAF engravings on the back.

Watch seems totally untouched. Seems it has never been serviced, restored,...
On the dial you can see some of the glas gasket that has liquified on the totis etc.... It's no "real" damage.
So the dial should probably be cleaned.
Also the movement needs a service.

But:
My question is: What would you do with this beauty?

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/christies-watches-online/heuer-kenyan-air-force-autavia-ref-11630-50/48642

As for the movement service that is needed I am really thinking about sending it back to the pre-owner who just told me he would take it back for good (told me it was running strong an correctly...). Unfortunately my watchmaker never had a 11630 in his hands... so he is unsure about parts, price,... that makes me thinking...

IF I would keep it, should I:
- get the dial cleaned (it should get pretty clean as it's not damaged I was told)
- get the glas changed?
- get the case redone?
- get it relumed?
- ...?

Sure I would get the movement serviced and the gaskets new...

Thank you.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE