The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: I Also Did Some ARRC / SCCA Research Last Night

I knew Chuck in the late 70's. The Lotus 18 had a 2.7 Climax that he bought from Dan Gurney; Gurney said that Goodyear bought it for him. I was chasing the history of another 18F1 and thought that it might be his old car but it wasn't. Later, he put the Climax in the back of a McLaren M4B (an original works F2 car) with a Porsche transaxle and ran Formula A with it.- he still owned that car at that time.

: As your source suggests, it seems that Chuck Kirkbride drove a
: Lotus 18 to victory, at the American Road Race of Champions,
: held in Daytona Beach, November 1967. [Although I believe that
: there are also mentions of a Lotus 23.]

: SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) records confirm that four racers
: were on the grid for the Formula A race, and that Kirkbride was
: the only one to complete the race --
: http://www.virhistory.com/cars/arrc/1967-res.htm

: I am in contact with his daughter, who has his Heuer Camaro, his
: trophy and lots of photos, and I am optimistic that we will be
: able to tell the "back story" of these watches.

: Jeff

: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE