The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Same Feelings, But Isn't It All About the "Halo Effect"?
In Response To: Mixed feelings ()

I looked at the prices and had the same reaction . . . three watches that are probably unattainable by 99 percent of the Omega enthusiasts and 99.9% of the watch-buying population.

But in the end, isn't this primarily about marketing? When we see the New York Times and Wall Street Journal covering these ultra-high-end anniversary watches, the Speedmaster name and story flows throughout the market. Several people forwarded these stories to me, because they were interested and thought that I would also be interested. I wondered how many people will walk into a store and ask for the entry-level Speedmaster.

Of course, we have the question of the watches and the marketing produced by Omega for the 50th anniversary of the moon landing versus the watches and marketing produced by TAG Heuer for the 50th anniversary of the Monaco. Retailers could answer the question definitively, but it seems to me that Omaga made a much bigger splash.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Thanks Jeff for starting this thread here as I think we can be more
: cool-headed about these than on other fora, Omega likely not
: being the primary brand of most people who visit OtD.
: As a person who started with serious mechanical watches with a
: Moonwatch, and who came to the Moonwatch from an early
: infatuation with astronomy, back then I’d have thought this
: moment for this brand and watch line would be something akin to
: a once-in-a-lifetime occasion to make its own giant leap.
: Instead they chose to play it safe: the trillionth limited edition
: and a resurrection of an old calibre, with a few tweaks. And of
: course all only for those whose pockets are very deep.
: I am glad for Omega they are liked by most but for me it’s
: mostly...meh. The one that I like from the pictures and what
: I’ve read is the gold one - but again it falls short of the
: impressive and almost arresting beauty of the original.
: I just wish this trend would stop here because in both the others
: it’s mixing both vintage-inspired features (slower movement,
: low-height pushers) and modern ones (de luxe bezel, display
: caseback) that I do not like.
: Cheers,
: Fabrizio

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE