The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Fake Heuer Autavia Boxes from eBay?

I bought a 3 Heuer Autavia Boxes from a seller on eBay who claimed they are NOS I won the auction, I than asked if he has any more, he said he only had two more so we agreed on a price. So I bought 1 on auction eBay and 2 on PayPal.

After almost a week he listed another one on eBay, and since has sold 2 after my winning auction.

So when the boxes arrived I had a feeling they didn't look right on first glance, having 8 years experience in the printing business I got my eye loupe and started to inspect the print, which turned out to be 4 color process printing (CMYK) instead of 2 colors spot Red and Black which would have been the case on simple box like this from that period.

The seller claims they are original and not fake, I doubt what he say, does anyone have a genuine box to compare it with

If you have a genuine box could you inspect it and see if it is printed in spot colors or in process colors (CMYK)

The other thing the paper on the fake one I got is coated while the original from pictures seems to be uncoated

I have looked at pictures of existing pictures online and they seem to be 2 spot colors instead of 4 color process (CMYK)

The original from pics I've seen online has crisp lines and no blurriness while the one I received its clearly scanned and reprinted lines are not crisp

Seller claims he consulted a collector which verified they are genuine, I know printing as mentioned I have 8 years experience and I can spot these flaws.

Pictures of the box I got from eBay

Would love to know your opinions

Red Flags
All boxes missing inner pieces watch holder (this was disclosed in the auction)
Claimed he has only 2 more yet sold more

The pictures below do not belong to me they belong to there respected collectors (pics used to compare my box to the originals below)

Original box shows uncoated paper

This is a good website to explain the different printing process

http://www.espsolutions.com/uncategorized/full-color-process-vs-spot-colors

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE