The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: This Autavia Has No Serial Number

: It most certainly is a best guess. I would be very very dubbious about investing any amount on a watch that does not have a serial number whether it was there and removed or never there in the first place. Lots of different manufacturers may use an identical case so without a serial number there is little chance of ascertaining it true lineage (heuer or not). To me, that watch looks like it has been put together due to the various issues that are quite clearly discernible (crystal, bezel condition not in line with watch, back seems relatively clean, dial is very good, case looks like it has had some work). I struggle with it and firmly believe it is a put together watch. My "best guess" is a transitional case where someone has
: added a bevel edge at some later point, thinking that was the
: case ref norm. Remember transitional is a recent discovery. If
: you study the case pics this looks a possibility imo.

: R

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE