The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Late '60s Heuer Autavia Manual-Wind 3-Register Value?

I'm hoping you can help me determine the ballpark value of this watch. I've owned it for 30-some years, but I rarely wear it, as A) for the first ten years or so I had it, I was an experimental machinist, and didn't wear ANYTHING that could get me caught up in the works of a lathe or milling machine; B) I'm a klutz, and I'm always banging into things; and C) It's rather too heavy to be comfortable. The watch is a Heuer Ref. 2446C Autavia, Three-Register, Manual Wind, snap-back case, with a Model 72 17-jewel movement made by Valjoux. The watch was just gone through by expert watchmaker, horologist extraordinaire, and Personal Friend of Mine James D. Ball. I'm thinking of selling it, which, of course, leads me to thinking of eBay (where I've participated as buyer and seller for 12 years, though I'd rather sell it without giving eBay/PayPal any more of my money), which leads me to try to find someone who can assign a rough value for the thing. I don't want to burden the forum with a terabyte of images, so I'll attach a few representative ones, that are of MY watch, and not generic off-the-web images.

The Valjoux 72 movement images were taken by Jim Ball during his tender ministrations; they ARE of the actual movement inside this watch.

Any help, advice, or good karma is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bart Brown

PS: Oh, yes... it runs and keeps excellent time!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE