The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

No, no, no & Yes

: Good Day,

: I am seeking everybody's assistance.
Hi Nickos.

: I have been told that the Seamaster 1000m
: (st 166.0093) was LIMITED EDITION.
No. That's the first time I've heard/read this. I don't believe it is true, but am always willing to learn.

: Can anybody confirm this?
No, I can't confirm it, sorry.

: Also any info as to how many sm1000
: were totally made?
No. Again sorry. Omega doesn't issue information about the numbers of each model that they have made.

The only exception to this rule is for limited editions. As I said above, I don't believe the 1000M was a limited edition. I have never seen any Omega issued numbers on this subject.

Sometimes a watch used a movement that wasn't used in any other model e.g. a flightmaster used either a 910 or 911 movement. NO other watch used these movements. Omega SAGA lists the numbers of movements that have been made. So indirectly you can see how many flightmasters where made.

The 1000M used either a 1002 or a 1012 movement ( depending on its production year ) These movements were used in a wide range of watches, so the number of movements made quoted in SAGA are useless, in answering your question.

: Seems to be a secret!
Yes, I think so. or at least a question that Omega won't answer.

I visited the Omega Museum in May 2004 & had the opportunity of spending a couple of hours with Marco Richon ( the Museum Curator ). I asked him a similar question about a different watch. He said they had no way of knowing now. I asked him if they could simply look at how many cases Omega bought/manufactured. His reply was along the lines of "We don't have that information anymore ".

I know Omega WILL issue a "Certificate of Authenticity" for vintage watches. You provide them with certain info ( case ref #, movement & Serial #,dial colour etc etc ) it costs a few dollars & they will send you a "Certificate of Authenticity". So they DO have the information somewhere. If they can check every watch they ever made, they can also count this Info somehow.... ( at least it would seem so to me )

But as I started this section, Omega do not & will not answer such questions.

So, I'm afraid there are some questions that will always remain unanswered.

: I appreciate everybody's input.
OK, a few suppositions here. Maybe the person who told you, meant "The 1000M was made in limited numbers" A small difference in the words, with a LARGE difference in the meaning.

This could be an explanation.

I don't believe the 1000M would have been sold in large numbers. It's not really a pretty or practical watch. ( I like it though ). It's BIG, its heavy, it doesn't offer any "features" ( such as chronograph,chronometer, etc etc ), it was VERY expensive new. It is a professional tool made for professional divers. It's market was/is very limited.

According to a UK 1978 Catalogue that I have, "Joe Normal" could have bought :-
a Speedmaster pro for 175 pounds
a 1045 Speedmaster for 212 pounds
or
a Seamaster 1000M for 250 pounds ( so 42% MORE than a speedy pro ! )

Not many people could have afforded a watch that offers features they would never need.

Another point that I should make, AGAINST the limited edition theory is the following.

According to Omega SAGA, the 1000M came on the market in 1971. The scan above is from a 1978 UK Catalogue.

Omegas had a limited edition watch on the market for 7 years ?? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Finally, The Omega Musuem Catalogue makes no mention of the 1000M being a Ltd Edition

May I ask you where your information has come from ?

As I said, I am always willing to learn.

: Tks
: Nikos
You're welcome.

Steve

Messages In This Thread

Seamaster 1000m:How many were produced?...more
No, no, no & Yes
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE