The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

in response...
In Response To: well let me reply you *LINK* ()

You said:

"You are one of the few complaining about
the rolex finish. The rolex finish has an
alu bouchonné finish and geneva waves too I
will post you a link because you are wrong."

I guess it would depend on who you ask regarding Rolex finish and complaints...sure if you ask a bunch of enthusiasts of the brand what they think they will tell you that it is functional and "good", but then again these are the same people who can justify and or rationalize the use of the cheap hollow braclets, stamped sheetmetal clasps, and in some cases non solid end link braclets so I take that opinion with a gain of salt.

I have looked at images like the ones you posted on many occasions and what I see is a movement that is minimally finished at best, something similar in finish work to a basic Seiko automatic caliber (not that there is anything wrong with a Seiko, just that you are talking a watch which costs under $300 vs those over $4,000+)

The fact is that a true indication as to what a company thinks of their product and their consumers is witnessed in the details and the workmanship, to me and I suppose many others who frequent forums like this it is apparent that Rolex must not think highly of either as while their prices have increased their level of fit, finish and overall workmanship have not.

You went on to say:

"Divers despite they have a diving computer
still use a dive watch so you are wrong here
again."

I never said that divers don't use an analog watch along with their dive computers but rather that the number of divers which use an expensive swiss luxury watch, be it Omega or Rolex are very very slim...I personally know many recreational divers and none of them would even consider diving with a watch that is that expensive. And many wear a simple quartz or digital "backup"...so please don't try to skew what I am saying to support your argument.

"The automatic escape helium valve is
an advantage for the professional divers and
it has been proven since 1971 with the sea
dweller."

Again the HE valve only matters for "saturation" divers, something which I was under the impression that in the future sat divers might be replaced by ROV's which would make the helium valive technology completely useless...

"You talk about product quality when the 2500
isn't even manufactured by Omega themselves
but by a subcontractor for Omega (in this
case Eta), sorry but I can't compare an
entirely inhouse made movement with a
movement that is subcontracted."

You are incorrectly using the term "subcontracted", it would only apply if the two companies were not owned by the same parent..the fact is that both Omega and ETA are owned by Swatch, thus they are different divisions of the same company, also I fail to see why one would have a hard time comparing two movements regardless of where they are made or by whom...they both accomplish the same thing and both have attributes and what not that can be directly compared...I wonder if you buy every product with the same concern for "in house" production as you do watches.

On a side, I used to use the same argument in defense of Rolex...and also used it as justification for their pricing, along with certain technical features such as the microregulated FSB it wasn't that difficult in the past, however now that the 2500 caliber has both featuers which used to make Rolex interesting along with better finish and a far better price, making the argument in favor of Rolex seems near impossible...as I said in house only means something to me if the quality and or product or service is better...none of which I have found to be the case with the three Rolex watches I have owned.

"You are one of the few who lost value while
resaling a Rolex,I have seen some pre 1997
dweller and even 2002 dwellers maintaining
their value very well."

funny as I would hardly say I am "one of the few", check out any sales board, or auction site and on any given day you will see others losing hundreds or thousands in selling Rolex...in fact I just spoke with a person who sold their F SeaDweller purchased last year for $4,700 for a measley $3,300....that is over a $1,400 loss for a little over a years worth of ownership, had this person bought a Planet Ocean they would have paid $2,400 and sold for at least $1,800 which is only a $600 loss....as I said before I have sold two Rolex watches and purchased three...the first I lost $400, the second loss was $700, and this Sub should I sell would lose about $1,000 - 1,300 or so...a loss I am not emotionally willing to take especially since I am paying for their mistakes....My losses on Rolex alone could have funded a nice new speedy moon and had money left over...

I would be hard pressed to continue to call any Rolex a "professional tool" possibly at one point in time but sadly no longer.

Out of curiosity are you also v8power on timezone as your arguments seem strangely similar.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE