The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Eh, I try...

Simply awesome as always Chuck, love to read your

Posted By: Mathew J

Date: 6/8/06 22:07 GMT

In Response To: Some Combined Random Observations... (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

Replies...

Eh, I try...

You were on the money with my take on divers and watches, I was never trying to imply that they don't wear watches as that would be foolish, in that kind of an environment having a backup is always a good idea, just that the chances of them using a multi thousand dollar swiss timepiece are from my experience pretty slim, especially when so many other less expensive options are available that work well enough.

I imagine there are many "Old Salt" diver's who wear an old trusted mechanical out of habit, but I would imagine that many newbie diver's who wear either Rolex or Omega wrist bling were just looking for an excuse to go nuts on the wristwear.

And I can understand paying more and trusting a mechanical to a battery powered backup.

As far as the resale is concerned I think that popularity for the most part works against Rolex in this regard...while you will sell a used Rolex quickly the reality is that since so many buy them there are just more on the secondary market for buyers to choose from thus because of the competition prices have been going down...

I don't follow used prices on watches I'm not currently seeking, soI wouldn't know. I've heard the claim often made that one can be in any modestly sized city in the world with nothing on oneself save for the slothes on one's back and a Rolex and be able to convert the Rolex to instant cash and not lose much money on the deal and no one ever seems to disagree with that. That might be a tough trick to duplicate with an Omega, Zenith, Breitling or TAG-Heuer.

with Omegas I don't see nearly that many near-new pieces for sale making it much harder to find a slightly used piece...

I don't know about numbers or prices, but I see enough PO's, Bond's Black/Black's and GMT's to think they are obtainable on the used market.

Seems alot of Rolex buyers flip their watches rather quickly...

For as tough of a watch to source (with waiting lists purported to be 1-3 years for the Stainless models there certainly seem to be a lot of NIB Daytona's on eBay and various sales corners, that is for sure. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of GMT's, Sub's or 'Dwellers either.

and unfortunately I fit that demographic as I have yet to keep one over two years as the lack of quality finish hasn't "turned me on"

Well, I collect Lemania 5100's so quality finishes aren't a must for me it would seem...

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.
Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE