The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Supply/Demand, Omega/Rolex & determined bidding…
In Response To: more about prices ()

Okay, prices are getting creepy weird! Posted By:
Morgan Date: 6/19/06 10:07 GMT

Just saw a '68 Speedy Pro go for north of $2K and it had an 861 cal movement within.

OK...

What in the world?

You shouldn't be entirely too surprised... The days of $1,000 105.012's and 145.012's are likely long gone (except for flukes, frankens and basket cases) as these models are pushing hard at their previous $2k typical ceiling prices... With the CK2915's fetching $10k and well beyond the prices of other vintage Speedmasters are following upward.

I think the reason for the high price, is the seller positioned that the watch was his since new or nearly new (thirty plus years). That would make one obvious selling point...all parts are original, etc. Incredible.

Well, 1968 c.861's Omega chronographs going for (nearly) $2k and beyond is not a new thing... I remember when Chuck Anastos picked up this beautiful 1968 Seamaster c.861 for somewhere near $2,000 back in 1999:

[I still wish I had had the wallet back in 1999 to have seriously contended for that one]

As the supply on secondary markets for these highly desirable watches dwindles as they are snapped up for collections and the demand stays constant or increasing, there is little gravity to keep prices from rising.

more about prices Posted By:
georges zaslavsky Date: 6/19/06 18:17 GMT

In Response To: Okay, prices are getting creepy weird! (Morgan)

Hi

Check rolex and see how far overpriced their vintage are. A 6238,6239,6263 or 6265 cost near $15000 to 35000

Near $15,000 to $35,000? I saw some prices asked over the weekend (maybe it was last week that were closer to $50-60,000! For ONE watch in that 6238,6239,6263 or 6265) epoch !

I mean those are GREAT watches... But I doubt my entire (some 27 examples) Speedmaster collection is worth $50,000 to $60,000! They are worth that price only because (and if) someone is willing to pay that much for one. But then again there are some $8m and $10m Ferrari's out there too.

(chuck foryour info, the chronometer version of the rolex 727 was only delivered to gold models not steel models).

Hmmm, makes a certain amount of sense, like the non-COSC No-Date Sub's vs. COSC Date(d) Subs.

I know a guy who owns a red dial dayto which costs $300000 and anothe one who owns a 6062 on yellow gold value is $60000. Ditto for rail dials and double red sub/ red sea dwellers I am not even talking about comex between $5500 to +10000.

A couple of years back the ,,Steve McQueen,, which is a bit of a misnomer as he wore a Sub in "The Hunter", not a...) Explorer II Black Dial Big Orange GMT hand model (forget the number) was routinely going for $6000 or maybe even a little more. I wouldn't be surprised if they were going for $10k or more these days. Perhaps Georges follows Rolex prices better than I do, In fact I'd be shocked if he didn't. Maybe you have additional insights to add on the Explorer, Georges?

In Omegas, the Ploprof is priced between $3500-4500 if in very good condition, the seamaster 120 even with no warranty and with wrong hands (the one sold by artoftime has speedy markII exotic hands)

Do you mean the 120m/440ft Chrono Georges?

are reaching between $3000-3750 and some other models like the seamaster 1000 are up to +$4500.

Prices are generally fixed by supply and demand and also by the rarity of the watch,

But also and in addition to the above is the mindset's of the bidders... If you get two people determined to own one particular example, the value of the watch may well be inflated beyond what the market would otherwise bear. Bidding wars tend to inflate the perceived value beyond what the street price would typically be.

but a watch with no warranty and not serviced even tough it is rare doesn't desserve a too high price especially if it has been badly restored or serviced(luminova instead of tritium dial, wrong hands and ppor precision). High prices are only justified if watches is absolutely pristine or N.I.B

Not necessarily, and justified prices are all in the "eye of the beholder"...

People laughed at paying more than $500-600 for Omega Bullhead's back in 1999, now they are listed for $3k. What may be unjustified by some/many/most people today can be bargain "Sleepers" that will pay off handsomely in a few short years.

just my opinion

Which you are more than entitled to hold... But everyone is entitled to hold my opinion...
;-)

regards

georges

Likewise and Good Hunting!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...

Messages In This Thread

Okay, prices are getting creepy weird!
more about prices
Supply/Demand, Omega/Rolex & determined bidding…
Re: Supply/Demand, Omega/Rolex & determined biddin
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE