The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Supply/Demand, Omega/Rolex & determined biddin

Hi Chuck

1)You shouldn't be entirely too surprised... The days of $1,000 105.012's and 145.012's are likely long gone (except for flukes, frankens and basket cases) as these models are pushing hard at their previous $2k typical ceiling prices.. With the CK2915's fetching $10k and well beyond the prices of other vintage
Speedmasters are following upward.

2)I think the reason for the high price, is the
seller positioned that the watch was his
since new or nearly new (thirty plus years).
That would make one obvious selling
point...all parts are original, etc.

3)Well, 1968 c.861's Omega
chronographs going for (nearly) $2k and
beyond is not a new thing... I remember when
Chuck Anastos picked up this beautiful 1968
Seamaster c.861 for somewhere near $2,000
back in 1999:

4)As the supply on secondary markets for these
highly desirable watches dwindles as they
are snapped up for collections and the
demand stays constant or increasing, there
is little gravity to keep prices from
rising.

5)Near $15,000 to $35,000? I saw some prices asked over the weekend (maybe it was last week that were closer to $50-60,000! For ONE watch in that 6238,6239,6263 or 6265) epoch !

6)I mean those are GREAT watches... But I doubt
my entire (some 27 examples) Speedmaster
collection is worth $50,000 to $60,000! They
are worth that price only because (and if)
someone is willing to pay that much for one.

7)But then again there are some $8m and $10m
Ferrari's out there too.

8)A couple of years back the ,,Steve McQueen,, which is a bit of a misnomer as he wore a Sub in
"The Hunter", not a...) Explorer
II Black Dial Big Orange GMT hand model
(forget the number) was routinely going for
$6000 or maybe even a little more. I
wouldn't be surprised if they were going for
$10k or more these days. Perhaps Georges
follows Rolex prices better than I do, In
fact I'd be shocked if he didn't. Maybe you
have additional insights to add on the
Explorer, Georges?

9)Do you mean the 120m/440ft Chrono Georges?

10)But also and in addition to the above is
the mindset's of the bidders... If you get
two people determined to own one particular
example, the value of the watch may well be
inflated beyond what the market would
otherwise bear. Bidding wars tend to inflate
the perceived value beyond what the street
price would typically be.

11)Not necessarily, and justified prices are all in the "eye of the beholder"...

12)People laughed at paying more than $500-600 for Omega Bullhead's back in 1999, now they are
listed for $3k. What may be unjustified by
some/many/most people today can be bargain
"Sleepers" that will pay off handsomely in a few short years.

1)Yes for the early speedy models, the cheap days are long gone and for the ck 2915 the 10k$ must be justified by a pristine condition of the watch and not some too patined dial

2)agreed

3)pristineness has a price but a least, it was a very clever buy especially for a watch in a such condition

4)sometimes, you can decrease the price if you negotiate hard enough

5)yes $15000 to 35000 is what costs a vintage dayto in France. the $35000 is price of a model with all its box an papers. $50000 is the price of a gold vintage dayto on a leather strap. Many prices of vintage rolex in the USA are way too high.

6) you have one of the best colelction of chronos chuck,including many brands like heuer, zodiac,omega,longines,tissot,zenith,movado,hamilton and others so I wouldn't worry

7) ferraris are maybe expensive but they have a very poor reliability and aren't solid

8) You are talking about the ref 1655 who here is priced between 6-8k$. The american market overprices rolex vintage but I am not astonished of that some people who are billionnaires or extremely rich so if they can pay more they will pay more. 10000$ for a GMT MASTER 2 ref 1655 is limit to crookery. Charly my watchmaker had one for sale a year ago for 7500€ with box and papers and a year of warranty. It was gone the next day.
I follow value of rolex vintage and new models as well as value of some omega vintage models.

9) yes

10) ok

11) the beholder can overprice the watch too

12) the good occasions never repeat themselves twice and probably people who weren't really knowledgeable into vintage watches and movements reacted like this.

regards and have a nice day

georges

Messages In This Thread

Okay, prices are getting creepy weird!
more about prices
Supply/Demand, Omega/Rolex & determined bidding…
Re: Supply/Demand, Omega/Rolex & determined biddin
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE