The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

I had once possessed an Omega Speedmaster for 12 h *LINK*

I had once possessed an Omega Speedmaster for 12 hours!

I like watches, especially automatic watches. When I was in high school, one of my dreams was to possess an Omega moon watch and became a pilot. My destiny has changed since I started learning avionics in college. The dream of becoming a pilot has vanished as time passes. But the desire to own an Omega watch has been getting stronger. After getting a Ph.D degree I got a job with a satisfactory salary that could afford to purchase Omega watches. Since then, I have developed a hobby of collecting watches.

The first Omega watch I planed to possess is the Michael Schumacher Speedmaster day-date 2002 Limited Edition. I know it was released almost 4 years ago. But I like the day-date function and the unique dial.

Last Saturday, I walked 7 hours and visited almost all watch shops in my city but could not find that piece since it was released 4 years ago. Finally I decided to try a used-watch shop. I don’t fully trust second-hand watch dealers since they have bad reputations. But I trust Omega since it is a famous brand. I know the watch I would buy from the dealer will be a pre-possessed watch but it should be a good Omega watch. Fortunately (as of that time) I found a shop that has two pre-possessed pieces of that edition. I bought the one that comes with box, certificate card and letter.

In the evening, when I was enjoying the good-looking dial of that watch I suddenly found that there was a miss print in the date digit on the dial! Oh dear! It looks like when the dial was printed, some ink has not been fully printed on it. See the digit “2” of the date “24” in my picture I took with my mobile phone (sorry about the low resolution). But it is so apparent that can be seen with the naked eye. One thing to mention is that the date when I bought this watch is June 24.

After a sleepless night, on the Sunday morning, I rushed to the watch shop. There, the dealer told me that the sold watches could not be returned. It was my fault not to detect the problem at the time when I bought it. And it is also the problem with Omega not them! The shop staff even told me that miss in print will make that Omega watch more valuable in the future which I doubted about.

I sited there in their shop and try all the ways to persuade the dealer to refund my money. After almost 2 hours my wife finally tried some tears to move the dealer and it worked! As my wife knows that is my first Omega watch and I want it to be perfect. Finally I owned that Omega watch for only 12 hours.

Now I feel very sad not only because I have missed the watch that I love so much even now and had flatted out to find, but also because I lost one trustable and famous brand in my mind that I have been eager for since childhood.
I don’t whether it is common for Omega to have this kind of problems.
I don’t know whether we have to do a little quality check ourselves before buying an Omega watch which I have never done to other lower rank brands.
I don’t know whether I have the confident to buy another Omega watch. At least my wife does not allow me to do so as of now.
I don’t know …

Please forgive my poor English writing
From a watch lover.

Messages In This Thread

I had once possessed an Omega Speedmaster for 12 h *LINK*
Re: I had once possessed an Omega Speedmaster for
Re: I had once possessed an Omega Speedmaster for
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE