The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Caliber 3606

: John,

: I thought the same when I saw the watch. As you
: know, I've had (and am still having) an
: immense saga with Omega with regard to my
: Speedmaster Day-Date. I typed in the new
: ref. no. into google, and got to (I think) a
: Russian website, with a whole load of Omega
: watches, most of which look like
: updated/reformed Speedies. I called my AD in
: London, who referenced his books and said
: that the Speedmaster Day-Date will have a
: COSC certified movement and that the watch
: specs WILL be changed. The case will be
: 40mm, and the water resist upto 100m. Added
: to this, the dial will be modified in terms
: of hour markers and the hands are changed
: slightly.

: All this will cost in and around £1800 and will
: be released early in 2007 in the UK. Omega
: do not have any information on their
: website, and to be honest, I have found next
: to nothing on the internet about this watch,
: indeed anything about cal. 3606.

: I am a little disappointed that I did not hang
: fire and wait until next year to buy it. A
: double shame really as the AD said he was
: due to close business soon as he is
: currently semi-retired and wants to take a
: new direction in his life. He will have
: colsed up shop by the time the watch comes
: out. I wish him well...hopefully I'll be
: able to get hold of the 2220.80.00 at at
: decent discount before he closes
: (controversially, I like the look of this
: SMP compared to the previous)

: Any insider information with regard to the
: movement would be appreciated.

: Many thanks

: Nafees

Hi Nafees,

Unfortunately, I don't have any insider information since my Omega AD is no longer an AD (I'm sure you remember the whole Gelber & Mundy saga).

The problem with caliber 3606 is that Omega's 36xx calibers have been both ETA modified movements as well as Piguet movements similar to the 33xx series. For example, caliber 3602 is the Seamaster Racing model, which is an ETA
2892-A2 with a chronograph module added after the fact. It is not an ETA/Valjoux 7751 like the one used in the Speedy Day-Date. By contrast, caliber 3603 is used in the $6300 Speedmaster GMT with a Piguet movement in it. So, when it comes
to the 36xx series, Omega seems to "mix and match" them.

For only 1800 pounds, I'm sure this will NOT be a Piguet based watch, since the cheapest of these retails for $3950 US. I suspect Omega will continue to use the ETA/Valjoux 7751 but perhaps make some additional upgrades/modifications so that they can COSC certify the new 3606 caliber as a chronometer. That would be my best guess right now, given that Omega hasn't released
anything to the public that I'm aware of.

-John

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE