The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

SomeThoughts...
In Response To: Omega Quality ()

Omega Quality Posted By: lgbmike Date: 12/6/06 17:31 GMT

I am looking at purchasing a new Omega Bond or PO.

Ok, I'm a chronograph guy, so you'll have to be gentle with me, but I think I can handle this one.

After reading some of the posts, on this and other forums, I am wondering about Omega's reputation and quality.

OK...

It seams, from what I read,that they are always making changes in their movements to make their watches work.

Hmmm... One can look at it that way I suppose.

Seeing where you mention Rolex specificially, perhaps the best way to handle this is to compare and contrast both Rolex and Omega as they are natural competitors, have been from some time and few (if any) other watch companies have the depth and breadth of product lines that they two firms possess.

Rolex is (surprisingly enough) the younger firm... Rolex has only been around about 95 years compared to Omega's 150+. And one wouldn't typically think that the younger firm is the more conservative when it comes to it's operations and methods, but Rolex is. The three biggest news items with Rolex in the past ten years has been the introduction of the in-House Daytona chronograph movement, the Yacht-Master's bezel and the introduction of Green on aniversary model Submariners and GMT's. Rolex is a very conservative (some would say Stodgy) company, very delibrate. Omega on the other hand add's, changes, revamps, modifies their models seemingly on whim and is much more attuned to trends and styles in the watch industry than Rolex is. With the exception of the Moonwatch, it's usually pretty easy to date an Omega product with just a cursory glimpse of it. A Rolex product, any given Sub or GMT, etc. could have been made 30 years ago, 3 years ago, or 3 weeks ago. There's that little change with Rolex's products.

With a Rolex, you might see a change in a product every 10-20 years, like a Jeep: CJ-5 -> CJ-7 -> Wrangler, etc. With an Omega it's closer to every 3-4 years, like a Chevy Blazer or Ford Explorer.

Lately, Omega has had some issues with some movements it's introduced coming out of the starting gate. The Seamaster GMT, the Co-Axial and [most especially] the c.33xx family of chronograph movements have had notable teething pains. The good news is that Omega was able to take effective action with regards to the GMT and the Co-Axial to where they are solid and dependable models. Now with the Co-Axial, Omega has moved from the original c.2500 through c.2500b and c.2500c variants as they have learned more about how to best tune the fairly radical Co-Axial Escapement. And frankly I can only speculate as to the why's and wherefores for that, but here it goes. The Co-Axial escapement is a patented deal, which means that Daniels (and his licensee's) have a finite amount of time (either 11 or 19 years if memory serves me correctly) where they effectively have a monopoly over the patented item and can "make hay while the sun is shining" while everyone else has to watch. Rolex enjoyed a similar patent with the central rotor automatic movement in the mist 20th century (which is why there are so many Omega Bumper Chronometre's out there!). So, it's quite likely that Omega felt some time pressure to produce the Co-Axial while they have the exclusive right to do so.

That leaves the c.33xx. Omega has taken action with this movement when problems started being reported (en mass) with this movement, however the effectiveness of their remedies are at the very best highly debatable, and seemingly notably less than totally effective. Omega has identified four problem areas with these movements (and a fifth - Rotor detatchment is common enough that it's considered the fifth common issue) that are still being reported regularly even on newer models supposedly with the remedial parts. In my opinion one is taking a risk when purchasing a watch with a movement based on the F. Piguet/Omega co-developed c.33xx, certain c.33xx owners downplay this risk, but it's there.

Personally, I feel this pattern of problems with newer models out of the gate, would seem to indicate a "rush to market" with inadequate or ineffectual real-world R&D testing before release to dealers and the buying public. The problems with the c.33xx, even with newer models, persist, but these don't seem to have effected the older Bond and Moonwatch models, and the Planet Ocean models have been trouble free in my recollection since their introduction, and the PO's are enormously popular watches. Chances are, if there were any problems with the PO's, we'd've heard about 'em.

Do they stand behind their product?

Typically Omega's been very good about servicing their products as long as they aren't determined to be counterfeit. They have even been known to service some watches sold through Gray Market channels which have had their serial numbers removed (in some circumstances, although I wouldn't count on that personally). Omega has repaired some c.33xx's even after their warranties have expired, although Omega's track record on getting repairs done properly the first time is spotty at best, unfortunately. They do get the watch repaired and working, or replace it with a new one.

Is it a watch that can be handed down through the generations?

Yes, they can and often are. It's not at all atypical for an Omega owner to purchase a Moonwatch on the occasion of a child's birth with the idea of gifting the watch to their child upon High School or College Graduation.

I am a former Rolex Sub owner so I tend to compare other watches to the Sub. Is their dealer network being revamped?

Yes, Omega is thinning out the ranks of their Authorized Dealer network. There are various reasons for doing this, some good and some decidedly not good, but the dealer network is being revamped and downsized.

I have the means to own one very nice watch and I would like it to be the Omega if you folks can convince me. I do not want to get caught up in chasing the "Crown" anymore.

Well, we're not going to shine you along. We'll tell you like we see it, with warts if we see them.

The PO and the Bond are among Omega's Flagship models (the Moonwatch being another obvious flagship model), and as such are very desirable and bequest-worthy watches. They (PO/Bond/Moonwatch) have also been trouble-free products for Omega. They are pretty safe purchases and Omega is a pretty solid company. It's not going to be going away anytime soon.

Thank you very much,

Michael

Good Hunting, let me know [email] if you need a referral to an AD who can provide you a healthy discount, and/or if you have any questions please feel free to post a follow-up.

Cheers!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.
Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE