The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

For what? I can't see that you did anything wrong...
In Response To: Forgive me...? ()

Forgive me...? Posted By: Peter W Date: 1/15/07 19:50 GMT

For what? I can't see that you did anything wrong...

Hey everyone (anyone?),

I'm Peter and I'm a long time lurker here at Chronocentric. I've never actually posted on any forum, anywhere, ever, I'm kinda like that but hey, what can you do?

It's ok to feel/be shy, but I expect folks here don't bite (much) and even then it's only a little nibble.

Anyway, not to drag on and on, I've always wanted to post, just never thought I'd have much worth saying, I did however read countless posts here and have to thank you all for taking the time to freely educate people like myself, Thanks. Now, that's not why I'm posting, I'm getting there though, you see, I read all about Omega and their watches, listened to the praise for, and criticism leveled at them, and then went out and bought a 3301 powered Seamaster chrono... Sigh.

Ought-oh... My Speedy Sense is tingling... I sense I know where this is going.

I feel so embarrassed, and deflated, you can undoubtadly see what's looming ahead, right?

[sigh] [sad shake of the olé head] [nod yes]

Well, even if you can, I'm gonna go ahead and tell you. I got it in October 2006, but was afraid to wear it. Honestly. That's never happened before with a watch. I was terrified the movement would collapse at the slightest shake, so I left it in it's box unworn untill about three weeks ago when my girlfriend bought me a watchstrap for Christmas, it suited the Seamaster to my eye and it became my daily wearer... Then the movement failed... Sigh.

So it was babied until you started wearing it post-Christmas daily. It certainly does not sound like it had much (if any) opportunity to be misused. It also sounds like it wasn't used a lot before it failed.

It's my own fault, I should have known it'd happen, shoulda trusted all the evidence I was shown, and I'm unlucky anyway, my 1861 Speedy Pro failed after three months too and needed "corrective adjustment" at Swatch Group Southampton. I'm just a bit of a mug (one who is easily conned or is overly trusting). I'm so disappointed. I just needed to tell somebody (preferably someone who won't just laugh at me).

I am profoundly sorry to hear both reports.

I wish I could say I was more surprised, but I am not very surprised.

Anyway, Thanks for reading.

Thanks for posting.

Peter

P.S. In case you're interested, the watch seems to be running alright timewise,

One seeming constant is that the FP based movements seem to be very accurate timekeepers. I can't remember anyone reporting otherwise. They keep good/excellent time unless they break or otherwise jam up.

but something in the movement has definitly let go, I can feel it moving and it's making a clack clack sound (it's not the rotor, I'm not that green).

When specifically does the should happen? Does it occur as you move the watch? While it's still? Is it different/distinctive from the ordinary "ticka-ticka-ticka-ticka-ticka-ticka...", etc. sound?

The chronograph won't run at all, the start stop pusher doesn't seem to be engaging anything, feels unloaded.

Sounds like defect #2 as identified by Omega in their Service Bulletin's. Seems strange that you should be experiencing this issue if Omega has actually been installing the redesigned parts in all watches leaving it's factory as they claim they have been as of July 2004. It would seem to shoot further holes in the contention by some that the revised parts have resolved the problems with the movement, unless your particular watch has been sitting on a shelf for three years or more.

The noise is loud and accompanied by a worrying amount of weight transfer.

I would like to hear more details of the sounds you're hearing from your watch.

As for what you should do... I would gather everything which came with your watch. All the boxes, papers, receipts, warrantee cards, etc. Even the bag if you still have it, and return to your dealer. However, before you visit or contact the dealer you should consider long and thoroughly what options you are willing to consider and/or settle for and prepare your case to press for what specific redress you seek be it either a replacement, full refund or a warranted repair with an extension to the warrantee for the time you're without the watch. I'd ask calmly but firmly, politely but be clear that you're not pleased with what's transpired and you expect the dealer to act swiftly and diligently to assure your satisfaction (whichever path that may be). I'd be wary of dealers who might try to ,,buy you off, with platitudes or bangles. Know what you'll accept and reject prior to the visit.

Be firm.

It is unacceptable to have two successive examples you've purchased in good faith fail on you. Unfortunately this is not an unheard of consequence and you may wish to have printed copies of other instances close at hand to place on the table as needed.

I am genuinely and profoundly sorry to hear of the issues you are facing with your Omega's. Seeing such reports are not a happy occasion for fans of the brand. I would much rather state the praises of the brand and the firm as I was able to with a clear conscious back around the turn of the millennium. I haven't been able to do so for quite some time. The one post I hope I never see on any Omega Community forum is one that goes something like this: "I bought this watch because of all the praise and rave posts on this forum. Now it has broken and the more reading I do, the more I learn that I am not alone. Why didn't someone, ANYone, say ANYthing about the problems? I feel so misled!". For that would be a tremendous blow to the Omega community. For while as unenviable as your current situation is, at least you had a good idea as to the state of the situation at the time of your purchase.

My advice is to think through your options, decide which one is best for you and go out and get it after due preparation (like having hard copies close to hand).

Again, I am profoundly sorry to hear of the issue, I hope it is resolved in a manner which is swift and acceptable to you.

Sincerely and respectfully submitted,

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.
Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE