The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

What a symphony of sound from one watch...
In Response To: Noise ()

Noise

Posted By: Peter W

Date: 1/17/07 04:58 GMT

In Response To: For what? I can't see that you did anything wrong... (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

Hello,

Peter, Sorry for not replying sooner. I've been so busy lately that the only time I've had has been late at night when I'm not at my best, or early in the morning when I'm still have asleep. I didn't feel replying during either of those

Thanks for your reply, thought I'd give you more detail about the noise while I actually have the watch to hand.

Ok, realize that I'm a Chrono-driver, not a Chrono-mechanic or Chrono-doctor...

When I hold with 3 pointing towards the floor and shake gently along the 12 - 6 axis the noise sounds exactly as if there was a metal ball rolling along the bottom of the case (I'm not suggesting there is, that doesn't fit the "feel", but it's the best I can describe the noise). It's very loud, you can hear it when the watch is on the wrist, that's how loud.

Sounds like loose part(s).

When I hold it with 9 pointing to the floor and shake along 12 - 6, the sound is totally different, as is the "feel". It sounds like something hanging loose, swinging around a bit.

Almost like the rotor?

I've just rotated the watch so 6 is facing the floor,shake along 9 - 3, the noise has stopped, can't feel any movement, can hear the rotor and tick tick tick...

How can you hear the rotor? Ordinary rotor rotating sounds?

Put the watch flat on it's back, now when I repeat the 6 down 9 - 3 from above, what do you know, loud scrapy noise, kind of a mix of the previous two.

Weird.

12 down and along 9 - 3, schlok boing silence, tick tick tick... (no really, a metal on metal rubbing sound followed by something that sounded like a spring)

The more I hear the more confused I get.

Don't get very much but a slight rattle (very slight) shaking flat on it's back along 12 - 6, or 9 - 3.

hmmm... These are just the oddest combination of sounds.

Incidently, she's still keeping excellent time (how long is the power reserve on these things?).

That's one thing I've heard/read over and over from people who own the FP movement models. How accurate the watch is even when the chronograph portion is broken.

I don't know what the power reserve is for sure on these models, but I think it's pretty high, something like 55 hours or so if memory serves me correctly. But I could be off.

An unscientific test for sure, but hopefully you'll find something of interest in it.

That's an amazing list of sounds from one watch. I'd definately talk to your dealer directly and seek immediate redress.

Best of fortune and feel free to post follow-up's

Thanks again,

Peter

Again sorry for the delay in circling back around to reply!
-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
G o B e a r s !
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE