The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Sorry for not replying sooner...

Lemania5100 chrono hand does not reset to zero

Posted By: SJACKAL

Date: 2/6/07 14:02 GMT

My Tutima NATO chrono on L5100 movement is having some problems.

I'm assuming this is the same Tutima NATO we talked about earlier in the week?

Sometimes the chrono minute hand does not reset back fully back to zero. I got to restart the chrono, stop it, and reset it again 2 or 3 times more for it to reach zero.

I had a problem like that with my Mistral Timing Lemania 5012...

Yeah, that's the watch, sorry for the cruddy picture!

It would start/stop/restart/stop/etc. fine, but when I tried to reset, it creaked along and wouldn't exactly zero properly. Usually it's "zero" between 1 and 5 seconds, etc. Pushing the reset pusher a second time or starting and stoping the chronograph and pressing reset again would coax it to reset properly, but it would never do it properly the first time.

Thus far this had happened 3 times with this watch.

Now if I remember correctly, this is a newly purchased watch, and it was purchased new?

Sometimes it goes back, but there seems to be a 'double action' where the chrono hand does not jumps back to zero instantly but seems to get caught somewhere inbetween for a split second before it reach zero.

With my Mistral Timing Chronograph it seemed like there was a decided lack of lubrication somewhere. Considering I purchased the watch off of eBay and most watches purchased off of eBay require some sort of watchmaker care, I sent it off to Shane Ede in Toronto noting the specific issue and he did a full service on it and it has been working exactly as expected ever since.

I mean I feel a little silly having a watch which I've invested nearly as much for the Service in it ($150) as I did in purchasing the chronograph in the first place ($180) but I figure $330 for a 5012 Lemania chronograph with a world time bezel is still a pretty good deal (and I figure it was a good deal in 2003 when I bought it too!).

It happens very fast but I know its there.

Is this a major problem?

Well, it's certainly an annoyance and shouldn't be happening, especially if it's a new watch. I would recommend contacting Tutima, especially if it's a new watch, and see what they suggest. It could be a simple cleaning, lubrication or adjustment issue.

Does this means a service or I could ignore it if its a 'once in a while thing'?

I would recommend that you mention it to the watchmaker/service center should you elect to have it attended to, but it suspect it's more of an annoyance thing than something harmful to the timepiece.

Thanx in advance. :

My apologies for not replying sooner.

I rarely get the time to visit Chronocentric more than once a day, I had an annoying computer issue on one of my laptops yesterday and I've been busy beyond belief. While I prefer to converse in public forums as much as is possible/preferable, so that more people can read/chip in /learn from the conversation, if you have an URGENT query and need a quick answer, feel free to drop a line. I'll try to reply as quickly as I can. But do try the forums first.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE