The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Combined Reply: Some Background Information...

Chuck's Speedmaster article in this months IW

Posted By: SteveW62

Date: 12/2/07 18:49:25 GMT

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if you know but Chuck has a large article in this months International Watch magazine Decembers issue )

Here's a link to their website => www.iwmagazine.com to be honest, it doesn't appear to show the latest magazine though :-( )

I've seen the article ( Chuck shared some of it with me ). Have any of you out there read it ? What do you thnk ?

If you haven't, you should try to get a copy of the magazine. This is the first of 3 articles, so look for more speedmaster info coming your way

Hi Steve,

Correction... I have no idea how many parts the article will be, or even the timing of further installments.

I'm trying to be flexible about how IW publishes the article. I thought a good "first-part" break point was to cover the begining of the Speedmaster story and contain the c.321 years/models. The second part will discuss the switch from the c.321 to the c.861, the early changes of the 145.022's backs to commemorate the Speedmaster's use on the Moon, and hopefully cover the 1970's in it's entirety. Meaning: the Mark Series, the early c.1045's, the 125 and the LCD's will be covered. If I have the space to do so, I will make at least casual mention of the Speedsonic, Flightmaster and Seamaster sister lines. After that, as space permits the article may go as far as the early 1980's [including the first Anniversary models and the c.861 Teutonics]. I honestly doubt I'll be able to fit all that in seven pages [if that's the space I'm alloted], but if I have the space to cover those topics in one installment, it may happen that way. I would rather have more installments and do the topic justice than give it short change. I also don't know if the next installment will be in the January issue or not. I will try to post a note in my blog and here.

Other epoch's/era's that need to be covered is the transition to the Swatch Group conglomeration, the early Swatch Group years and the more recent history. I also hope at the end to include a bibliography of sorts, where people can learn about the other available sources of information on the Speedmaster, both in print and on line.

My goal with the article was to provide as much detailed information as I possibly could in the space I was alloted [Seven pages]. I hope to be able to provide enough basic and perhaps enough detailed information that a person who is casually interested can get to a certain level of knowledge/understanding without having to go to the expense of having to purchase either the "Master of Omega", or Marco Richon's book[s] if they simply wish to purchase a vintage Speedmaster and know what they should be looking for in a good example.

S.

I also want to take this opportunity to publicly thank Steve Waddington for his efforts and interest in helping me find and use many of the AD's which appeared in the article. You flatly were a life-saver Steve and I'm sure I'll be emailing or IMing you "Help!" in the coming days and weeks!

Re: Chuck's Speedmaster article in this months IW Posted By: Statts Date: 12/2/07 18:59:41 GMT In Response To: Chuck's Speedmaster article in this months IW (SteveW62)

I saw about this on WUS,anyone know if the mag is available in the UK?

ta

I was contacted by a fellow in the UK looking to get a copy of the Wally Schirra Interview, and he eventually found a copy at a Borders Books [if I remember correctly]. In the USA, both Barnes and Noble and Borders Books regularly carry IW, if you can locate an outlet of either of those chains it would probably bear fruit if you phoned them.

Eventually, once the magazines are off the shelves, I will be posting copies of both the Schirra Interview and these articles on Chronocentric.com, just as Jeff Stein has posted copies of his articles from IW over on OTD. So if you can not find a copy, do not dispair... They will eventually be available on the web for reference.

Cheers!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.
Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE